Monday, September 1, 2008

Reasoning...

My name is Katy VanVleet Hanchett. I am a 6th year senior and so ready to graduate! I enjoy spending time with my husband of 2 and 1/2 years and love the outdoors...when it's cooler. I also love to blog so I am very excited for this assignment. My two concentrations are child development and design studies. I chose the two concentrations because I have always had a love for design (graphic design on particular) and I eventually want to start a family so I felt it would be interesting to learn more about children.
I am doing my applied studies internship at the Arizona Museum for Youth, a museum centered on children and learning to appreciate art and to become an artist themselves. It is very hands on for the children and is such a fun learning environment. My first project is to create a manual for the guides. I have been gathering information for the guide so that they can improve their ways of understanding children and improve the opportunities of learning. My other main project will be designing the FamilyZone area so that the families can step outside the exhibits and have snacks and drinks. I hope that once I have completed this internship, I will personally have a better understanding of the way children can interact and learn with art. Academically, I want to learn the aspects of designing areas that can enhance a child's learning. People have lately been focusing on a child's learning capacity, but they find that funding art is not important to education. I feel that the interaction of art can enhance their development.
My goals for after graduation are somewhat similar to my intership. I want to work with Autistic children through art and this internship will teach me about how children can benefit and I can take that gained knowledge and apply it to my desired job with challenged children. If art can help "normal" children, then surely art can really benefit others.

5 comments:

Christie Collamer said...

Hey Katy! Your internship sounds so rewarding. I think art is a great form of expression, especially for children. I have grown up around art, and try to surround myself with it. I think almost everything around us is a form of art, and makes us feel a certain way each day. My dad used to own an art gallery and my boyfriend is an art student at Indiana University so my life is greatly affected with art. I think children need to be exposed to the arts because I now that I think about it, if I hadn't been exposed by my family, I wouldn't have had much opportunity to appreciate in school.
I think this internship will be a great step in learning about the effects art has on a child. You mentioned that you want to use art as a way to help autistic children and I think this will be a great way to see the ways in which a child responds to art. I look forward to reading about your learning adventure.

BIS401 Dr. Hirshorn said...

Hi Katy,
Your blog page reflects your artistic nature, I love the design! Last semester I had a student who also did their applied study at the Arizona Museum for Youth and they had a great experience. They worked in the gift shop. That's a great little place, my daughter and I have been there several times in the past (at least once a year). It sounds like a great place for you to use your art to help teach children. Your goal of working with Autistic chidlren when you graduate also sounds interesting.

Dustin Schodt said...

It’s nice to meet you Katy. My name is Dustin Schodt and I am ready to graduate too! My areas of concentration are Business and Communications. This is my first experience with doing a blog so I will follow the lead of you veterans. Even though I have no semblance of art skills, my mom graduated from ASU in graphic design and she loves it. It sounds like your applied study is fairly demanding and you are going to be having a big impact immediately! This sounds like great experience for you. I took a class last semester that partially focused on the concept that there are nine different types of intelligence, including art. Even though a student may not be good at math it does not mean that they do not have other talents. It is important for us as a society to encourage our youth to do what they are good at. Slacking on funding for art will ultimately discourage children from pursuing their dreams. Good luck with everything and I look forward to hearing more about your applied study in the future.

Dustin Schodt

Anna F said...

Hi Katy,
I am very excited to continue hearing about your experiences at your internship. Interning at a museum was one of the possibilities that I had considered myself. I can see how your two concentrations could be used extensively at your internship site. I was an early childhood education major prior to beginning my IDS degree and I can see how your childhood development would really be used at the museum setting.
I agree with you on your comment about art being valuable to the holistic development of children. I often feel that people sometimes overlook the importance of areas such as art to young children. I believe that art is an essential part of childhood development. I am glad to hear that you are interested in pursuing a career working with children with Autism post-graduation. You may already know this, but atmosphere, lighting, color scheme, etc all are critical to a child with Autism. It definitely sounds like your two concentrations will fit nicely together for you.

The Hanchetts said...

This post was posted on my other personal blog...just reposting it in the right spot.

Sarah Crow said...

Hello Mrs. Hanchett!
Well first off thanks for responding to my blog =) Also, what is the Family Project that you wanted to work on, but now are not?
Sometimes internships are very ambiguous. First they say you are going to do one thing, next minute you are implied to do another!
I think being an intern is two sided. In one aspect you are not getting paid plus you are an intern, so there is an assumption that you do not know what you are doing. This can work for or against you.
Anyways, I look forward to hearing more about what you do.
I have been a nanny before so I know about taking care of children! Not to mention I have a six year old little boy.