Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Little Shadow-er

I shadowed my mentor this week. She is the Education Curator for the Children's Museum and I never really knew what a curator did. I just thought it was them choosing the art work and that was it...WRONG! In her case, she gets to work between 8 and 9 (sometimes even earlier depending on the day). Then most days, she goes from one meeting to the next, back-to-back, and she sometimes doesnt's even have time for lunch and when she does, she rarely eats out or away from her desk.
The meetings she goes to? Well, one is to plan the tours for the Educators that give the tours to school groups. She and another team member map out the areas of interest for the children and then create the activites.
In this museum, the two exhibits are always changing every six months, so she is in charge of creating the next exhibit ideas, meeting with the Museum Director for approval, and then handing it over to the design team.
She is the one that gives the interns (me) things to do. I've done and/or am working on the emergency evacuation plan, the familyzone ideas, the Gallery Educator's Guide, the dPlan (emergency plan for the art collections), taken photos of all the staff and Educators and the list continues on. All of these go through her, which is AMAZING! She is just everywhere and always has great ideas.
I feel that I have learned so much with working with her becuase she has her hands in everthing and so I was able to experience things that come with museum work, but also the sidelines that most people don't get the opportunity to see. It's great and I am VERY sad that my internship is coming to an end.
I am so thankful for the opportunity that I had to work with under an amazing person.

1 comment:

BIS401 Dr. Hirshorn said...

It does sound like the education curator is one busy lady! She sounds like she is really the heart and soul of the museum. We drove by there the other day and my daughter was asking when we can go back (its been a while and she is getting bigger -7). I am glad that you are having an amazing experience at the Children's museum. Good job with your shadowing assignment.